1. Introduction about your job / career, define your career?
Ans: I Mr. C. Narayana Reddy have completed Masters Degree in Social work in 1998 from Sri Krishna Devaraya University, Ananthapuramu. After completion of my course I got a golden chance in working in United Nations Development Program (UNPD) – South Asian Poverty Alleviation Program as Community Coordinator at Kurnool district. In my 3 year tenure in UNDP I have promoted more than 300 Self Help Groups, 35 Village level federations and one Mandal samakyas as part of promotion of community based organizations of the poor with an aim of poverty eradication. And also Innovated Micro Credit Plan to improve the livelihoods of the poor through SHGs and Federation.
Later I worked with APMAS (A reputed national level Capacity building organization of the SHG movement and community based inclusive interventions, through infusing qualitative, structural and sustained growth) as a Joint Director based at Ananthapuramu. Joined as Deputy District Manager and promoted as Joint Director i.e. from level 4 to Level 2 in the span of 5 years. The following are the main responsibilities of the job:
2. Qualification required for this job?
3. Personal qualities / skills required for this job?
4. Best aspects of this job?
5. Challenging aspects of this job?
6. Your achievements?
UNDP/ SPAP & IKP
7. Your secret of success in your career?
Quick learning and able to grasp field realities quickly
Inter and intra communication skills
Ability to work with diversified groups
Presentation and documentation skills
8. Give us some interesting accounts of your academic /education days?
Ans: I really enjoyed the both work and hospitality provided by the COROMANDEL FERTILIZERS LTD, VIZAG during the block field work placement. The guidance provided by my beloved Prof. Muralidharudu and Munili Darshan were very helpful in brushing my career plan.
9. How did you plan your career?
Ans: I planned my career rightly with the guidance and support provided by my colleges especially CS REDDY, CEO – APMAS and my immediate supervisor Anjaneyulu. Ballem. I have improved my communication skills especially writing skills in English and computer skills which are crucial for further career development.
10. Describe your experience of your first day at work in your first job?
Ans: My first appointment was with UNDP – SAPAP at Dhone mandal of Kurnool District as community Coordinator. I faced very difficult situation while I was interacting with Self Help groups due to the lack of knowledge on SHG movement and the members asked me to settle the malpractices done by the book keepers. Some what I was embarrassed and confused about what to do on that situation. As per my superior suggestion, I have stayed in another village for 15 days at a stretch to understand the process and functioning of SHGs with the help of local Community Volunteer. I used to observe the procedure what Community Volunteer is doing and able to grasp the things. I used to follow my colleague to learn the work while on work.
11. Your major achievements have been in ……………. which opportunities steered you on that path?
12. Being a leader / social worker yourself what do you think you possess as a leader/social worker that sets you apart from other leaders?
Ans: I have good understanding about the society and able to grasp things very quickly and also I am good at interpersonal and intra personal skills.
13. How as a leader / social worker, do you go about developing yourself today?
14. What keeps you so passionate about working in social work?
15. What are your current ambitions for the next phase in your life /career?
Ans: I would like to shift from my present position to the teaching side and become Professor of Social Work and develop new trends in social work profession
16. Your reading. How this does helps you in your personal and professional life?
Ans: Certainly reading and continuous learning is very vital for both professional and personal life. I have acquired new skills especially training skills through reading.
Reading gives comprehensive knowledge about the concepts of social problems, profession and life. I am confident to say that Reading is the secret of my success.
17. What are your interest / hobbies?
18. A family bonding experience ……………….?
Ans: I am very lucky to have a family, which understands my profession and providing reasonably good support in achieving my professional goals. But I could not able to spend much time with the family as my profession requires frequent travelling
19. Tips for aspiring professional social workers?
Ans: The following are the tips for aspiring professional social workers.
20. Bitter experience in your career?
Ans: I could not able to reveal the bitter experience due to the organizational ethics
21. How do you relate with other professions and professionals?
Ans: Being a social work professional we need to establish good relations with other professional to equip new skills and to get required support for professional achievements
22. What is your opinion about the need for social workers association?
Ans: Yes, we require social work association for both experience sharing and improve the career path. The association should focus more on creating awareness about the profession and finding the suitable jobs for the professionals
23. Not all social workers are documenting their experiences in their profession, can you please throw some light on it.
Ans: Yes, many social workers are poor in documentation and are not able to share their experiences due to lack of communication skills. The social work association should focus on these aspects and provide space for ventilating their feelings and experiences.
24. What are the most challenging aspects of your job/career?
25. How do you balance career and other aspects of your life?
Ans: Planning and using time optimally is the only answer for balancing the career and other aspects of life.
26. What advice do you have for someone contemplating a career in social work in a professional position similar to your current position?
Ans: The answer is already addressed in question no. 19
27. What are the most rewarding aspects of your job?
Dr. Sreenivasa Reddy
Careers in Social work